The Manoir d'Ango
The Manoir d’Ango was built between 1530 and 1544 by Jehan Ango a rich Dieppe shipbuilder, also known as the Norman Medici. In 1525 he had bought about 12,000 acres of land in Varengeville.
The Manor is directly influenced by Italian Renaissance architecture and is the only example of its kind in Normandy. This influence can be explained by the close commercial ties Jehan Ango had with Italy and several of his captains were Italian.
The Manor was built using local materials: brick, flint from the cliffs and sandstone from quarries along the Norman coast. The window frames are carved in stone from the Seine valley.
The Manoir d’Ango was amongst the first buildings to be classified as Historical Monuments in 1862, at the same time as Notre Dame in Paris, Versailles, Chambord and Chenonceaux.
In August 1927 André Breton stayed there and wrote “Nadja”. He was joined by Aragon who was working on his “Treatise on Style”.
In 1928, the Manor was bought by Mr and Mrs Hugot-Gratry, who undertook a major restoration of the house and its surroundings, returning it to its original purpose – a country house.
It has since remained in the same family and undergoes regular restoration and embellishment.
Address: Route de la Cayenne, 76119, Varengeville-sur-Mer
Telephone : 00 33 2 35 83 61 56
Open every day from May to September included. At weekends and public holidays in April and October.
Open from 10 am to 12.30 and from 2pm to 6 pm
Admission: Adults 5, 50€ (groups of more than 10: 4, 50€)
Information on hire for receptions – telephone 00 33 2 35 83 61 56
Jehan d’Ango (1480 – 1551 )
Viscount of Dieppe
Nous Contacter :
Mairie de Varengeville sur Mer
47, route de Dieppe - 76119 Varengeville sur Mer
Tél : 02 35 85 12 46
Horaires d'ouverture des bureaux:
Lundi, mercredi et jeudi de 10h à 12h
Réalisation PhP Consultant - 06 60 78 08 37